Monday, April 21, 2014

Fancy White Trash by Marjetta Geerling



Fancy White Trash by Marjetta Geerling
Publication date: May 15, 2008 (Viking Juvenile)

So, Fancy White Trash. I picked out this book when I was ordering a few other ones from Barnes and Noble. The summary initially interested me (because who doesn’t like a good YA family drama-ish read every now and then?) and the title was entertaining.

Fancy White Trash brings the story of sixteen year old Abby Savage who is entering her sophomore year of high school with a set of rules to find her One True Love. She comes from the infamous Savage family, a family of all girls who are notorious for being, in Abby’s words, sluts. Abby is also forced to confront her feelings for her best friend’s older brother (and ex-boyfriend), Jackson, after he returns from a trip to Nicaragua.

I didn’t go into this with high expectations, but I wasn’t expecting it to be bad either. With that said, I have mixed feelings about this book. It’s an easy read if you’re looking for something light to read in between books, but it’s not something that will have you going to your friends and telling them, “YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK.” The plot is predictable, Abby doesn’t have much character development (her best friend Cody has more development than her but even then, rather flat), and the drama seems forced.

Boy, does it sound like I dislike this book.

Like I said before, if you’re looking for something to read in between really good books, I’d suggest this as it is a read that’s good enough to pass the time. I enjoyed it enough to finish it, but I was not completely riveted by it.

(3 out of 5)

~ Yajaira

No comments:

Post a Comment