Saturday, April 25, 2015

That Time of the Month! (OwlCrate #2)




*Text that is in bold is a little extra snark from Rachel.

It’s that Time of the Month again! The good kind not the miserable kind, holla. Last time we praised the postal service for getting us our boxes on the same day. This time? Not so much. They kinda sorta really suck. BUT EITHER WAY WE WERE REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS MONTH’S THEME. #allthefeels

Rachel got to open hers first and refused to tell me what was inside besides the book and her candle scent. FINALLY two days later I received my box and got to see what other goodies lay inside. HERE’S WHAT WE SAW:



I was excited about the candle because I’m a 92 year old cat woman at heart. I got Hazel’s Flowers which I love a lot. It smells like Sweet Pea from Bath & Body Works, if you’re familiar with that scent. I got The Giving Tree, which smells like a pine tree (go figure.) I’m not a huge candle person, but it’s a nice little knick knack even if I don’t like the book.


Next was very obviously a jewelry box of some sort (in ~Tiffany Blue~), tied up all cute with a red and white string which I tried desperately to save but wound up cutting off because Y’ALL ARE THOROUGH BOW MAKERS. I immediately cut mine. I didn’t even try saving it. Each box includes one of two styles of necklace, and we happened to get one each.



Debatably the best part of the box was this tote bag that I think we can all relate to a lot. Too much? Never. My first thought when I saw the tote bag: “YAAAAAS.”


And finally, this month’s book, which is a contemporary. Everything That Makes You by Moriah McStay.


I will say this book seems a lot more interesting to me than last month’s A Darker Shade of Magic. And that’s all I’m allowing her to say because I’m still trying to read it and won’t allow spoilers. But also, I agree. Here’s a summary from Goodreads:

One girl. Two stories. Meet Fiona Doyle. The thick ridges of scar tissue on her face are from an accident twelve years ago. Fiona has notebooks full of songs she’s written about her frustrations, her dreams, and about her massive crush on beautiful uber-jock Trent McKinnon. If she can’t even find the courage to look Trent straight in his beautiful blue eyes, she sure isn’t brave enough to play or sing any of her songs in public. But something’s changing in Fiona. She can’t be defined by her scars anymore. 
And what if there hadn’t been an accident? Meet Fi Doyle. Fi is the top-rated female high school lacrosse player in the state, heading straight to Northwestern on a full ride. She’s got more important things to deal with than her best friend Trent McKinnon, who’s been different ever since the kiss. When her luck goes south, even lacrosse can’t define her anymore. When you’ve always been the best at something, one dumb move can screw everything up. Can Fi fight back?
Hasn’t everyone wondered what if? In this daring debut novel, Moriah McStay gives us the rare opportunity to see what might have happened if things were different. Maybe luck determines our paths. But maybe it’s who we are that determines our luck.

I’m a sucker for these, not gonna lie. I probably own like 9 other books with similar plot lines. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book with a plot like this which is pretty surprising with how much YA I consume. The book came with a sticker, bookmark, and signed bookplate.



So what’s our opinion of this month’s box? Better than last month just because. I definitely love this box and OwlCrate is already one-upping their last box. They’re catching on quickly too, so we be all proud and stuff. Hopefully one of us can finish the book soon and get a review up.


Next month’s theme was announced to be “Parallel Worlds.” Unforutnately we’re both skipping that shipment money problems suck, but if you’re receiving it, send us a message and let us know what you think of it! Until then, happy reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment